Sunday, February 5, 2012

becoming a designer

First of all, the good news. The money is approved, the bank really DOES love us.
We'll be finalizing the paperwork this week. I've been running around securing course of construction insurance (who knew that even existed?) and finalizing the details so that we can close. The contractor is READY and would start TODAY if he could, but the next step is to submit the permits to the city, which will take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to approve and cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 30K by the time we're all done. (yes, that's 30 THOUSAND dollars for building permits, etc)
No wonder so few folks actually build homes.

I know I promised a landscape plan this week, but it won't be done until monday. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

I thought I'd talk instead about the process of designing the interior of our house. We did work with a real interior designer for a bit, but, honestly, I found it a bit disappointing for $100 per hr. She thought I had a bunch of great ideas and really didn't have much to add. We'll probably consult with someone one more time, but for now, I'm flying solo.

I have found some of the most interesting things on the internet, though....
here are a few.
If you need color inspiration
Design Seeds
For design and decorating ideas
Houzz
To save your ideas
Pinterest
there's a million others, but those will get you started.

The one thing I also did this week was buy medicine cabinets. These are from Restoration Hardware They were on sale and exactly what we wanted for the master bath. They'll be up over 2 pedestal sinks. His and hers. We'll store them until we're ready, but I love them already!




this week, off to the flower and garden show (LOVE!), closing for the financing, hopefully a finished kitchen plan,a cistern, and shopping for a clawfoot bathtub and front door. PHEW! we're going to be busy. Somehow I think it's going to be that way for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment