Sunday, April 20, 2014

Let the games begin

The plant sale season is upon us! I (not so) patiently wait every year for the annual plant sales. Last year, I couldn't participate that much because we still didn't have a yard, or any idea when we would. This year, it's all out shopping!!!

Yesterday, I went to the Rhody Species sale....not just rhodies, it just supports the rhody species garden. There are some great specialty vendors there that sell plants you can't get anywhere else....and y'all know, I never met a plant I didn't like.
I scored.....
an oriental poppy called "harlem"
a black daylily - Africa
and another called "black on black"
a hosta "mouse ears" (who wouldn't love that?)
two different corydalis
and a primrose articulata, grey-green

A pretty good score, if I do say so myself. I'll be planting them all today.

Coming up soon, the florabundance sale. This one is the mother of all specialty plant sales.
We also have the king county master gardener sale, Thurston county master gardener sale, and some misc. ones I'm sure I've forgotten, but they're on the calendar.

The clearance bin is heating up too. The gal at lowes told me this week, that they mark down the plants based on their dates.....like milk at the grocery store. Who knew plants had an expiration?
It's ok by me, though, a  little love, some dirt and some water, and they look just fine.

This week I scored a pink scabiosa, a blue scabiosa, and a white iris at the blue box, and a pink ground cover and a nice carnation at the orange box. Looking forward to lots more in the future.

I'll leave you with this.......It's a shame they're so short lived....

No comments:

Post a Comment