Sunday, August 17, 2014

old farts and irises

Did you ever notice how old farts are attracted to growing and hybridizing irises? I have two new besties now, after recognizing (caving in to), my new iris addiction. One guy sells his irises at the farmers market. I've run into him a couple of times. He has over 1,500 varieties. I can only imagine how spectacular that must be in the spring.

My second new bestie, I just met yesterday at the pierce county iris sale. He's not quite as accomplished, (although both guys know each other), he only has about 800. See, that's the cool thing about irises, there are SO many. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be spending my winter studying irises.

Speaking of the pierce county sale, we went, I bought, I planted.
There's 3-4 black ones there, a really cool little one, and a couple of others that are going to be interesting. I also got some from my market buddy. I've taken to going down to the market every Thursday because he puts out different ones every week. I'm focusing on mostly blues and blacks, with a couple of bright orange, yellow and pinks thrown in for good measure.
 
This week, I also got a bunch of free ones. Someone was giving them away. So, now the irises go all the way across the back. If I don't like the free ones, I'll give them away next year. It's a giant happy science experiment, don't 'cha know.
 
The clearance rack was marginal this week. I got a perennial lobelia, a stokesia for the white garden, a couple of painted ferns, and a sedum. The nurseries are getting fewer plants. The season is winding down, and it's just too hot to take care of them.
 
I did find some of the first fall bulbs at Costco, though, and brought home 100 mixed daffs. I've had really good luck with Costco stuff, and we're just getting started on that one.
 
Last but not least, the pergola is finished......see that back door? no? that's the idea! It's just waiting for the two roses I ordered to be planted on both sides. That sale at Heirloom roses came just in time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment